Vegan, vegetarian and plant based lifestyles have many health and environmental benefits associated with them. It doesn’t just have to be an entire diet, an extra meatless meal each week can also have benefits. Trying Meatless Monday even is a great first step to gradually making a transition to a vegetarian or vegan diet.
8 benefits of living a vegan lifestyle:
- Weight Loss - Research shows that following a vegan diet can help to result in weight loss. Read about how a NuGo fan lost 95 pounds by a following a plant based diet.
- Lower Blood Sugar Level - A vegan diet may have some benefits for type 2 diabetes.
- Heart Health - An Italian study on vegan diets, linked both vegetarian and vegan diets to significantly lower rates of ischemic heart disease as well as cancer. Additionally, a vegan diet may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Lower Cancer Risk - A major study conducted in 2012 reported that according to their research, vegans have lower rates of cancer than both meat-eaters and vegetarians.
- Better Digestion - Vegan diets are naturally higher in fiber, which is known to help with digestion.
- Water Conservation - Following a vegan diet not only has health benefits but also has environmental benefits. One main benefit is vegan diets help to conserve water. It takes 100 to 200 times more water to care for animals than it does to care for plants.
- Combats World Hunger - According to VegNews, “More than 700 million tons of human-grade food goes into animal agriculture each year, which could instead be used to eradicate hunger.”
- Reduces Energy Consumption - You heard right, eating vegan can also help to save the planet. A study found that it takes 8 times more fossil-fuel energy to produce animal proteins than plant-based proteins.
NuGo Nutrition has a line of purely vegan products to satisfy cravings. NuGo vegan protein bars are coated with delicious real dark chocolate and give a boost of protein.